Cuisine at Waipoua Lodge
Fran is a passionate predominantly self-taught cook who describes her style as ‘traditional with flair’ focusing on using fresh local produce.
Coupled with Ian’s hosting and knowledge of New Zealand wines, often sourced from vineyards personally known to them, dining at the lodge is a truly pleasurable experience.
Included in the price of your accommodation – your day starts with a scrumptious breakfast consisting of a platter of fresh fruit with juices, cereals with natural yoghurt sweetened with local honey, followed by a selection of toasted breads and croissant and then a beautifully cooked small and manageable serving of bacon, homemade sausage with coriander & thyme, a baked mushroom, a baked tomato with pesto and eggs of your choice.
Ian’s barrista skills provide that special latte, flat white, capuccino or expresso or there are a range of teas (including herbal) available.
The three course a la carte dinner menu is $70.00 per person and guests normally dine between 7.00 and 8.30 pm. For children staying at the lodge we offer a special menu with food being charged based on the amount consumed with a 3 course child menu being between $20-$40. If you would like to dine at the lodge please indicate this on your reservation form.
Dinner Menu – Summer 2012-2013
Served with a warm Waipoua Lodge home made roll
- Prawns sauteed in garlic butter, served with a white wine and pesto reduction with parmesan shavings
- A slice of Waipoua Lodge chicken roulade terrine with proscuitto, pistachio nuts, prunes & apricots soaked in brandy, served with a finely sliced lettuce & delicate mixed herb salad with lemon juice.
- Indian style lamb cakes – a fusion of spring lamb with eastern spices, fruit and nuts, served nestled in poppadoms with warm tomato relish, toasted coconut & parsley
- Thin slices of seasoned smoked Marlborough salmon served with hummus, lemon chutney & wholemeal toast
- Waipoua Lodge homemade ricotta infused with sun dried tomatoes, pesto, capers & garlic & rolled in toasted pumpkin & sunflower seeds served with seasoned thinly sliced cucumber & tomato, extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar
Served with seasonal vegetables
- Loin of locally sourced lamb aged with orange, garlic & rosemary, served pink with a red wine, blackberry & orange jus & baked kumara with almonds
- Duck seasoned with Szechuan pepper, served pink with crispy roast potatoes, spinach and a cherry & red wine reduction
- Fillet of locally sourced prime beef served with a red wine jus, blue cheese mushroom, a mashed potato bake & sauteed honey onion
- New Zealand Marlborough salmon, marinated in basil and lime juice, pan fried with white wine & served on a bed of minted new potatoes, spinach & with either cauliflower or parsnip puree & aioli
- Corn fed, free range chicken breast filled with a duxelle of mushroom, bacon & orzo pasta, served in a creamy chicken & white wine reduction, topped with crispy bacon morsels and parsley
- Waipoua Lodge specialty – hot lemon souffle dusted with icing sugar and served with pouring cream
- Chocolate mousse served with Cointreau cream, orange powder, a chocolate tuile & orange crisp
- A light mango, apricot & almond gateaux served with apricots, whipped cream and an almond & vanilla tuile
- Vanilla & honey panne cotta served with a vanilla tuile and a compote of rhubarb, orange and ginger
- Sticky date pudding served with a toffee sauce and vanilla bean ice cream
- Calypso-nana – banana caramalised in butter, brown sugar and dark rum and served hot with vanilla bean ice cream
- Homemade mocha chino ice cream served with a vanilla & pistachio tuile
Tea & Coffee of your choice
A range of dessert wines and liquors are available from the bar